Friday, August 15, 2008

How does it measure up?



I have poured spirits with many different measuring devices at various jobs.


My experience is with:

  • Standard jigger 1 1/4 oz
  • pony jigger 1 oz.
  • measure jigger 1 1/2 ounce
  • tapered end metal pour spout
  • square or box nosed metal pour spout
  • one ball 1 1/4 oz regulated pour spout
  • two ball 11/4 oz reg. pour spout
  • various plastic pour spouts that measure similar to metal spouts

I prefer to free pour as opposed to be measured. I practice my pours before every shift on both left and right hand with an exacto pour measuring test. from 1/4 oz to 2 oz. in 1/4 oz measures. Each place I've worked uses a different system and I always use their method of measuring. I find however free pouring by the above mentioned method will make you precise. A jigger will only make an improper measure, a waste, or a mess (unless of couse you are pouring a spirit bottle that can fit no spout).
I take pride in having no extra for my guests. It is science to me. Recipes are made to be exact unless you are forming a new one. So I was very excited when my management celebrated with me in being the only employee 20 years of their experience to free pour with various pour spouts for a 3 month period and from starting counts to ending counts be spot on the money!
I am curious how others measure and their experiences. Please share. How do you pour?

No comments: